Leftist Boddhisatva

Boddhisatvas love bananas.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Michael Brown accepts responsibility, blames others.


News Item:

Former FEMA director Michael Brown aggressively defended his role in responding to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday and put much of the blame for coordination failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

"My biggest mistake was not recognizing by Saturday that Louisiana was dysfunctional," two days before the storm hit, Brown told a special congressional panel set up by House Republican leaders to investigate the catastrophe.

Brown in his opening statement said he had made several "specific mistakes" in dealing with the storm, and listed two.

One, he said, was not having more media briefings.

As to the other, he said: "I very strongly personally regret that I was unable to persuade Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin to sit down, get over their differences, and work together. I just couldn't pull that off."


In his forthcoming autobiography, Un-Moving Mountains, Brown writes, "There were key philosophical problems between myself, Gov. Blanco, and Mayor Nagin. I tried to get them to understand that because I was appointed by the President I was right and they were wrong. Finally, during a frustrating phone call that was taking up too much time from giving press conferences I yelled at both of them, 'Don't you get it: you're on your fucking own! Get over it and stop crying for mommy. Mommy's not coming. Not this time. Not ever. It's your own fucking problem that you live in that miserable state.' And then I hung up on them."

Current mood: ridiculously calm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home